The Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY) was introduced by the Ministry of Women and Child Development for pregnant and lactating women, aiming to partly compensate them for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare and also provide conditions for ensuring safe delivery and promote good nutrition and feeding practices for infants and young children. It envisions the achievement of these objectives by:
Promoting appropriate practices, care and institutional service utilisation during pregnancy, delivery and lactation;
Encouraging the women to follow (optimal) nutrition and feeding practices for infants and young children, including early and exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months; and
Contributing to an enabling environment for the above practices by providing cash incentives for improved health and nutrition to pregnant and lactating mothers.
IGMSY is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme under which financial assistance is provided as grant-in-aid to the State Government.
In financial year 2010-11 Government of India disbursed Rs. 983.53 lakh to implement the scheme in the State.
Benefits and Eligibility
All pregnant women of 19 years of age and above are eligible for the benefits under the Scheme for the first two live births. However, women who are entitled to paid maternity leave are not eligible for the benefits under this Scheme.
The cash transfers under the Scheme are subject to the following conditions:
The first transfer (at the end of second birth / pregnancy trimester) of Rs.1,500 will be made on the following conditions:
- Registration of pregnancy at the anganwadi centre (AWC) within four months of conceiving,
- Attending at least one pre-natal care session and taking IFA tablets and TT (tetanus injection), and
- Attending at least one counselling session at the AWC or healthcare centre.
The second transfer (three months after delivery) of Rs.1,500 will be made, provided:
- The birth of the child is registered,
- The child has received OPV and BCG immunisation at birth, at six weeks and again when the child is 10 weeks old, and
- The mother has attended at least two growth monitoring sessions within three months of delivery./li>
The third transfer (six months after delivery) of Rs. 1,000 will be made subject to:
- Exclusive breastfeeding for six months and introduction of complementary feeding as certified by the mother,
- The child receiving OPV and the third dose of DPT immunisation,
- The mother attending at least two counselling sessions on growth monitoring and infant and child nutrition and feeding between the third and sixth months after delivery
How to Access
A cash incentive of Rs. 4,000 is provided under the Scheme to pregnant and lactating women of 19 years of age and above, for the first two live births. The cash incentive is provided in three instalments, between the second trimester of pregnancy till the infant completes six months of age
||Service Entitlement / Service Standards
|Conditional Cash Incentive for Pregnant and Lactating mothers to bring about significant change in their Health & Nutritional Status.
The scheme (IGMSY) is running in two districts Vaishali & Saharsa
|| Rs 4000/- is provided to the pregnant women in 3 steps on qualifying different condition at each instalment.
||Pregnant women enrolled in AWC
|First- At the end of second
trimester of pregnancy
- Registered at AWC, Govt. hospitals or empanelled private doctors clinic
- At-least one Post Natal check-up & one dose of TT
- Received / consume iron folic acid tablets
- Attended one NHED
|Second - 3 months after delivery
- Birth Registration at AWC
- First Dose of BCG & oral Polio
- Second Dose of DPT & Oral Polio
- Weight of child taken twice at AWC within 3 months of Birth
- Two counselling from AWW or ANM about feeding of child
|Third- 6 months after delivery
- Exclusive breastfeeding up-to 6 months
- Introduction of Complementary feeding after 6 months
- Third dose of DPT and Oral polio
- Weight of child taken twice at AWC within 3-6 months of Birth
- Two counselling from AWW or ANM about feeding of child within 3-6 month of age
|* All the proof of qualifying to the conditions is to be fulfilled by the AWC.